Friday, November 15, 2013

Sequential Art, Part 1: Animation...

Considering how much of a role my early dreams of being a cartoonist/sequential artist played in my chosen career, I thought I'd upload a few examples from those areas (Comics, animation, storyboards, etc...)  that I realize are a bit under-represented here

Starting with Animation:  I was brought on board at Film Roman in the summer of 1997 to be a Character Layout artist for the second season of King of the Hill.  My job was not quite to be a full-on animator, but to illustrate the key frames for characters in assigned sequences.  I worked on a lot of scenes over I think six episodes in seasons 2 and 3.  I wish I had the presence of mind to copy more of the scenes at the time, but I at least have these to share.  The workload was massive but if you could get the flow, it became an excellent training ground.


Here is a scene of Khan trying to be "neighborly", in his usually condescending way:


Traditionally, an animator "specializes" in a specific character but the process at that time had us illustrating whoever happened to be in the scene.  That said, I found that I always enjoyed working on poor old Bill:




No comments:

Post a Comment